I first learned how to conduct an interview in JOUR 320, an intense reporting and writing course that had me popping out weekly news stories and 10 published clips. I got used to cold-calling sources and asking lots of questions-- some more provocative, some less so. I learned to type people's comments while simultaneously listening, responding, and thinking of follow-up questions.
I spent hours speaking with a Brooklyn sculptor about her life's work. I interviewed the mayor and all four members of the Rockville City Council about proposed changes to the city's trash pick-up. I talked to senior advocates about pending legislation in Maryland and Virginia.
I did about 75 interviews that semester, and by the time finals rolled around, I felt pretty comfortable talking to people I didn't know about subjects I wasn't familiar with.
But I wasn't thinking visually.
Now, a few weeks into the college's Non-Print Media course, I'm re-learning what I thought I already knew about journalism: how to do an interview.
Capturing an interview for a video means that I have to film the subject in the correct place on the camera screen. Instead of paying attention to how I respond to someone's comments, I now remind myself to keep quiet-- I don't want my "mmm-hmm"s and "really?"s to clutter the footage. I also have to concentrate on keeping a steady hand on the camera so viewers don't get motion sickness from a shaky video.
There's more pressure doing on-camera interviews. As a strictly print reporter, I always knew I could call a source back if I had additional questions. But if I'm covering a live event via video, what I get is what I get. Missed a shot? Too bad-- it's gone.
After producing another 70 stories on video, I hope I'll reach the same level of comfort I have in the print medium.
At that point, it'll probably be time to try my hand at photojournalism.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment