I was looking for inspiration (multimedia inspiration, anyway) tonight as I edited sound bites for my final project. I found plenty in an audio slide show about Children's Hospital on washingtonpost.com. A few things struck me about the piece:
1. Both the beginning and end of the slide show were smooth. It started with about five seconds of natural sound inside the hospital, then moved seamlessly into the first sound bite, a piece of an interview with the chief of surgery.
The last 20 seconds or so brought the slide show to a natural close. The chief of surgery's voice was back, talking about saying good-bye to the old unit. As he spoke, a photo showed a patient looking over his shoulder as he and his mother waited for the elevator, presumably to leave the hospital.
2. There were a couple of segments at which the audio and photos matched perfectly. My favorite example was hearing a woman read from The Lion King while looking at a photo taken from an angle that let me look over her shoulder at the book and the tiny baby treated to story time.
3. The quality and variety of the photos-- vertical and horizontal; wide, medium and tight; and intense emotion. It seemed that each photo was more powerful than the one before it. And each added to the story.
At this point, I already have the raw material for my final project. Now I just have to edit it into the perfect audio slide show. I hope my work will bear at least a slight resemblance to the quality of the Children's Hospital piece.
Thursday, May 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment