Thursday, March 27, 2008

I've Already Got a Favorite

When the National Cherry Blossom Festival begins on Saturday, dozens of photographers will find their way to the Tidal Basin to capture it on camera. There will be tourists, eager for the perfect Washington-in-the-spring shot. And there will be professionals, serious about photographing the blossoms and their visitors.

Hundreds--if not thousands--of images will be made before the festival ends on April 13, but I've already found my favorite cherry blossom photo. (It's the ninth in the Washington Post's slide show from the 2006 festival:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/070305/GAL-07Mar05-67023/index.html.)

For me, it was love at first sight. Really, what could make a sweeter cherry blossom photo than a pair of little girls in pink flowery dresses reaching out to touch the pink flowers by the water? Read the caption, and it gets even better: The girls are 3-year-old twins.

I love that they're so absorbed in touching the blossoms that they don't notice they're being photographed, and I love that the Post's Arianne Starnes made the image with the girls on the right side of the frame instead of the center. I'm not quite sure what the photo's subject is--the girls or the cherry blossoms--and I like the fact that it could be either, or maybe both.

I only wish I took it myself.

No comments: