Thursday, April 3, 2008

Of Portraits & Profiles

This week I discovered my favorite type of photography: portraits.

I like the clear objective in taking a portrait. You find what stands out about a person, how they spend their time, what they absolutely love to do. Then you find a way to show them in that light.

As much as I like the clarity, though, I also like the flexibility that comes with taking portraits. The subject can be looking at the camera or looking in another direction. He can be smiling, or serious, or moody. You want to photograph only their hands? Okay, go for it. Just their feet? No problem.

I also find it interesting that portraits, unlike other types of photographs, can be posed and still turn out well. Over the past few weeks, as I hunted for worthwhile photos on and off campus, I found myself almost wishing I could just pose a couple of people to capture what I had in mind. Fortunately, the temptation wasn't all that great. After all, a posed photo is a posed photo. It doesn't look good-- it looks stupid.

But a posed portrait can look great.

In my print classes and on assignment as a freelance reporter, I've particularly enjoyed writing profiles. Basically, then, all I need is to write a strong profile and photograph a creative portrait to go with it, and I'm one happy camper.

No comments: