In the course of studying hundreds of images in and out of class over the last few weeks, I noticed that photos of children seem to be especially interesting.
Sure, anyone can have a funny expression on his face, but kids tend to have the funniest expressions. And anyone has the potential to be good interview material, but kids often seem more natural on video than even the most at-ease adults. So when I wanted a back-up plan for my final project, I went to a local elementary school.
My starting point? Lots of kids in matching uniforms at a special two-hour program in the middle of the school day. There would even be a birthday cake at the end of the program for the kid turning seven to share with his classmates. I was pumped.
I was counting on the kids being cute and funny and interacting with each other naturally.
What I didn't count on were the two or three kids whose greatest desire, it seemed, was to be caught on camera. They waved, they threw themselves in front of the screen, they made faces. And they ruined a lot of otherwise perfectly good footage.
So my list of things to keep in mind while filming got a bit longer: Hold the camera steady, use backgrounds that add to the story, shoot sequences of wide, medium and tight shots...and avoid camera-hungry kids.
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
first off you never told me about this little adventure of yours
and secondly it just seems to confirm your pretty established feelings about certain things shall we say???
hmmmmm
Post a Comment